You are here
- Wastewater shows above ground.
- Detection of excessive bacteria, and chemicals in well water tests.
- Poor installation and/or maintenance
- Disposal of household chemicals, such as paint thinners, into system.
- Overloading the system with a garbage disposal unit.
- Use of septic tank cleaning additives.
- Too many closely-spaced septic systems in a limited area.
- Proper installation.
- Inspection and cleaning every 2-4 years; annually if garbage disposal used.
- Do not dispose of household chemicals into the system.
- Ban hazardous cleaning additives for septic systems.
- Develop local septic system codes.
- Public sewers when feasible.
- Public information and education.