Landfills and Open Dumps
- Observed leachate runoff.
- Seepage into nearby surface water.
- High levels of bacteria, organic chemicals, metals, nitrates in well water tests.
- Lack of control over leachate.
- Permeable soil.
- Leaky landfill cover.
- No liner or liner failure.
- Poor management.
- Lack of control over hazardous wastes disposal.
- Proper design, maintenance, and operation.
- Avoid sensitive groundwater areas.
- Regular inspection and groundwater monitoring.
- Ban hazardous wastes from landfill unless designed for this purpose.
- Reduce waste by recycling.
Small Disposal Pits
Used for dumping or burning wastes by businesses and households.
- Petroleum odor in well water.
- Other chemical odors.
- Detection of chemicals in well water tests.
- Improper disposal of chemicals, oil, pesticides, other wastes and used containers.
- Lack of disposal facilities for small amounts of hazardous wastes.
- Public information and education.
- Disposal facilities for small hazardous waste generators.
- Enforcement against improper waste disposal.